Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My first real vacation!

Hi everyone, Cole here.

As you may know, my parents took me on my first real vacation last week, to St. John in the US Virgin Islands. This wasn't my first time away from home (that was to visit my aunts in Sacramento) or my first time on a plane (that was to Mexico, where Dad had a work trip). But for taking a bunch of long plane flights, going to the beach, staying more than two nights in another location, and just hanging out with family, this was a big first!

I thought I'd take some time to let you know what vacation looked like for me.


First of all, we flew into St. Thomas, and then took a ferry to St. John. My first time on a boat! Luckily, Papa Steph kept me company on the bench while I napped.







Since it's so sunny down here, I stole Mom's shades and decided to wear them myself. Gotta protect those baby blues!







We went to the beach pretty much every day. I didn't want to burn my soft baby skin, so I kept myself wrapped up a lot.










These palm trees actually have coconuts on them! Hope none of them fall on my head....











I have to get my beauty sleep, you know!

Papa Steph and Bestemor got me a great hat to keep my scalp from burning since my hair's still kinda thin. Mostly I like to eat the strings that hang in front of my face. Thanks, guys!





We had a pool at our villa. The water there was warmer than the ocean....boy, did I enjoy swimming in there!!!








Thanks to all the salt and chlorine, I got a bath every night! Luckily Dad brought my inflatable ducky tub. Bath time is fun now!





Mom and Dad took me off-roading! They didn't mean to....this is actually "Route 108" if you can believe it.....but they turned around because they were afraid my brains were
scrambling.


I know I'm just a baby and my reading skills aren't so good yet - but these signs were posted at the bottom of someone's driveway. Now tell me, can goats and donkeys read?????



Whoa - there are goats in the road! Where are their parents? No one is with them, they're just roaming around free! Anyway, last time I checked, they were eating the grass on the football field we drove by.....








We actually drove to the end of the road. Mom tells me that this sign actually says "The islands beyond this road can best by reached by boat." That makes me giggle!








On the way back home, a donkey walked right in the road up to my window to say hi. It was big! I wasn't scared, though.







After such a long time in the car seat, I demanded that Mom and Dad take me back to the beach. Here I am, checking out some waves as they rush in and out at the shore.





After all my time swimming, I got so tired! Good thing Papa Steph had a chair in the shade and let me take a nap.







I love Mr. Frog so much! I'm glad Auntie JoJo and Aunt Sandy got him for me. I take him everywhere I go.






After the beach, Dad took me to the iguana feeding at the Westin hotel. These are all wild iguanas but the nice people at the Westin give them food every day at 3pm. It's cool to watch!



I'm no iguana, but I have to say I think milk is probably a lot yummier than some old lettuce and zucchini.....I tried guys, but mom says she's reserving her milk only for me. You're out of luck!




Speaking of yummy, Papa Steph gave me some beer on his knuckle and I really liked it. He also let me taste lime, apple, and sauerkraut. Mom and Dad said those are probably not ideal "first tastes" for me, but that's what grandparents are for, right?




Grandparents are also pretty good for cuddling, like Bestemor here, who bundled me up and held me for a nap at the beach after a good swim.




St. John was a pretty beautiful island. Dad took me to see the ruins of the Annaberg Sugar Mill. That was really neat to see. Plus I got to do a hike along the water, naked except for my diaper and hat. Whoo-hoo!






The last night, Bestemor and Papa Steph treated us to a really delicious meal at the Ocean Grill. Or so I'm told...I only got milk.











I got a bit fussy at dinner so Uncle Stef volunteered to help Mom and Dad out and swing me in my carseat for awhile. Forget those electronic swings! I am a high maintenance baby - don't you forget it.







Well, I guess that's about it. But luckily we got one last picture of me with the Connecticut Ambrosch-Hall family, so I can remember everyone even though they live far away. Here's me with Uncle Jeff, Uncle Ben, Uncle Stef, and of course, Bestemor and Papa Steph.




And last but not least, I can't forget to remind everyone of the hard work I did at baggage claim in the San Francisco airport...but hey, it's way past my bedtime!




Well, thanks for reading. I hope you enjoyed the tales of my vacation! More to come later....

No comments: